Coventry was rated at #13 for towns with a population between 10,000 – 15,000 in the November 2011 issue of Connecticut Magazine.
Size and Population
Coventry is spread over a 37 square mile area and is occupied by about 12,500 people
Incorporated in 1712
School District: Coventry Public Schools
Coventry Early Childhood Center
1171 Main Street, Coventry, CT
Main Office: (860)742-5859
Coventry Grammar School
3453 Main Street, Coventry, CT
Main Office: (860) 742-7313
George H. Robertson Intermediate School
227 Cross Street, Coventry CT
Main Office: (860)742-7341
Capt. Nathan Hale Middle School
1776 Main Street, Coventry CT
Main Office: (860) 742-7334
Website: (link to: http://www.coventrypublicschools.org/cnhms/cnhms.html)
Coventry High School
78 Ripley Hill Road, Coventry CT
Main Office: (860) 742-7346
· Jesse Root (1736–1822) was a Coventry resident who served in the Continental Congress representing Connecticut from 1778 until 1782 and sat as chief justice of the Connecticut Supreme Court from 1796 to 1807. Buried in Nathan Hale Cemetery.
· Nathan Hale (1755–1776), captain in the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War and official State Hero of Connecticut, was born in town. Empty grave in Nathan Hale Cemetery.
· Lorenzo Dow (1777–1834), an important figure in the Second Great Awakening, an eccentric, itinerant minister, was born in town.
· George N. Barnard (1819–1902), photographer who joined Mathew Brady in recording the American Civil War, worked briefly with photographic pioneer George Eastman, and the Eastman Kodak Company, was born in town.
· Benoni Irwin (1840–1896), American portrait painter and summer resident, drowned in Coventry Lake. Buried in Nathan Hale Cemetery.
· Adelma Grenier Simmons (1903–1997), author and one of the leading herbal figures in America in the 20th century, owned and operated Caprilands Herb Farm for over 65 years, lived in town.
· David Hayes (born 1931), artist, American Modern Master of painted steel sculptures, lives in town.
>>Official Website, Town of Coventry, CT
>>Coventry Parks and Recreation
>>Community Events Calendar
Found something you love? Save your favorites when you register with us today, and you can receive updates when similar properties are posted. If you already have an account with us, sign in here.
Contact us to learn more about our listings and to schedule a showing.